frequently asked questions

I have had an accident and don't know what to do next?

Having an accident can be a daunting and confusing experience. The professional customer service team at Craig Glasson Smash Repair are here to assist you through the process. Just give us a call or drop into our collision repair centre – No appointment necessary – phone 02-69213281

What does my insurance cover in the event of an accident?
This depends on what insurance cover you have.  There are 3 different types
  • CTP Compulsory Third Party Insurance – often referred to as a Green Slip
  • Third Party Property Insurance
  • Comprehensive Insurance
The table below shows the coverage offered by different types of car insurance:

Car insurance

Damage to your car Damage to other people's property (e.g. other cars) Damage or loss caused by theft of your car Injuries or death to other people in an accident

Compulsory third party (CTP) No No No Yes
Third party property No Yes No No
Third party property, fire and theft No Yes Yes No
Comprehensive Yes Yes Yes No
CTP Compulsory third party insurance often referred to as a 'green slip', it covers death and injury to people if you are involved in an accident.   You cannot register your vehicle unless you have CTP insurance.  Some people often think that this insurance covers damage to vehicles involved in an accident but it does not – it only covers the driver of a car for personal injury they cause to someone else - it does not cover the driver for damage to another's property.
Third Party Property Insurance - Third party property insurance covers the repair costs of property damage your car causes. Some third party property policies include an 'uninsured motorist extension' that covers you if your car is damaged in an accident and you're not at fault.
If while driving your car, you cause damage to another person's car or property and it is your fault that person can claim the cost of the damage from you.
Third party, fire and theft insurance - covers damage to other people's property, and provides limited cover for damage to your own car caused by theft or fire.
Comprehensive car insurance - covers damage to your own car and other people's property if your car is in an accident (including fire) as well as theft.
The accident was not my fault and I have the details of the driver that caused the accident?

If you are not at fault you must be able to identify the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident.   If that driver is insured then you can claim the damage of your car against their comprehensive or third party insurance.

If they are not insured there are a couple of options available.  Contact us 02-69213281 to discuss options

Do I have to pay the Excess?

In most cases the Excess is paid to the business carrying out the repairs to your vehicle or in some cases paid directly to your insurance company.  It is a requirement that the Excess which is claimed on behalf of the insurance company is paid prior to release of the repaired vehicle.

In some circumstances If you are not at fault your insurance company may be able to claim your excess back from another party.

Will I lose my no claim bonus?

You will need to get advice from the insurance company.  Often if you are not at fault your no claim bonus may not be affected.  You should check the wording of your policy to understand the impact of making a claim has on your no claim discount and premium.

No claim bonus schemes are meant to reward safe drivers or those who don't claim on their insurance but a no claim bonus does not always reduce the cost of your premium. Don't just stick with your current insurer for a no-claim bonus, as you could get a better deal elsewhere.  If you change insurance companies they may transfer your no-claim bonus to your new insurance policy – you don’t know unless you ask!

Do I have the choice on who I want to repair my damaged vehicle?

At one stage you had the right to choose your own repairer.  However, not all insurance companies allow you to choose your repairer.  You need to check your product disclosure statement on your insurance policy.  It is interesting to note that the Motor Traders’ Association of NSW recommends you choose an insurance company who offers a ‘genuine’ CHOICE OF REPAIRER.

Do you offer a guarantee?

We pride ourselves on our customer service and our proven ability to return your vehicle to pre-collision condition.  We employ qualified and experienced technicians who take pride in their work.

Our work is 100% guaranteed – which provides peace of mind to vehicle owners.

I am a member of the Motor Trader’s Association and operate under the MTA’s NSW Code of Ethics and Motor Vehicle Insurance and Repair Industry Code of Conduct.  I am an active member of the Quality First Program.

Craig Glasson Smash Repairs guarantees our quality repairs and craftmanship.  Our guarantee remains in force until you sell or you no longer own the vehicle.

How long will it take to repair my vehicle?

This depends whether it is a private or insurance work.

Insurance - in most case the vehicle will need to be quoted, assessed and authorised by the insurance company’s assessor before parts can be ordered and work commenced.  It is only in rare cases that the insurance assessor will need to come and inspect your vehicle.  Our business uses a digital system where photographs are taken of your vehicle repairs and sent to the assessor on-line for processing.  They review the requested repairs and make their determination.  This process speeds up the approval process.

Once approved – the parts are ordered and work commences – to return your vehicle to pre-collision condition.

Private – preparatory work such as ordering parts etc commences once the detailed quotation is acceptance by the vehicle owner.